Click me
Transcribed

Marketing the Madness

MARKETING THE MADNESS THE SALES, ADVERTISING AND MARKETING OF THE NCAA MEN'S DIVISION 1 BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP $5.2 BILLION IN TV AD REVENUE "The multiple weeks of March Madness certainly help and can from 275 different broadcast sponsors over the last 10 years. create a more powerful platform than a one-off event." the marketing $680 MILLION Bill Glenn, Senior VP The Marketing Arm arm The amount CBS and Turner will pay the NCAA and its member schools for the 2013 tournament. Today's annual average: $771 MILLION TURNER SSPORTS $10.8 BILLION The deal inked by CBS and Turner Adjusting for inflation, there was a for 2011 to 2024. 1,877% In 1982, CBS paid $49.9 MILLION O-A increase in the average annual value of the NCAA Tournament TV rights in the last 30 years. for three years of rights. HOW MARCH MADNESS COMPARES TO OTHER POSTSEASON PLAY (2011) TOTAL REVENUE COST PER 3o-SECOND COMMERCIAL TOTAL VIEWERS (2012) NFL Playoffs Super Bowl Super Bowl $900 million $3.1 million 108 million NCAA March Madness NCAA March Madness NCAA Championship $738 million $1.2 million 21 million MLB Playoffs NBA Finals NBA Title Game $452 million $435,000 18 million NBA Playoffs MLB World Series World Series Title Game $448.5 million $421,000 16 million MARCH MADNESS IN 2011 TOP ADVERTISERS TOP AD CATEGORIES GM atat Coca-Cola Capita $57.9 $36.8 $26 $23.5 $23.5 $155.9 $66 $64.9 $64 $62.9 million million million million million million million million million million MOBILE EXPERIENCE 2012 USES OF MOBILE DEVICES DURING THE TOURNAMENT: checking scores 48% reading news about team/players 25% 69% 26% checking brackets 23% of consumers used their mobile devices while watching the NCAA of fans used their mobile devices as their primary viewing devices. watching game highlights 20% Tournament on TV in 2012. NCAA TICKET SALES ONLY 30% OF ALL TOURNAMENT TICKETS ARE AVAILABLE TO NCAA men's Final Four Tickets tournament tickets $250 to $2,000 THE GENERAL PUBLIC. $350 to $4,050 The remaining 70 percent divided among: Final Four schools and their discounted ID-only student sections (25%) Division I institutions and coaches associations (15%) Host cities (10%) NCAA committees (10%) Broadcast and corporate partners (5%) Final Four Tickets Final Four Tickets Row 18-Seat 4: $4,050 Row 40-Seat 15: $360 NCAA's luxury hospitality packages (5%) NCAA AT WORK 86% During the first two days of the tournament, employers could pay distracted workers of people who plan to watch say they will devote at least some time during their workday on activities like checking stats and $175 MILLION IN WAGES scores online. while they're preoccupied by the games. 25% 20% 11% will spend say they will spend one-to-two work hours will spend five three-to-five hours. hours or more. checking stats online. BRACKETOLOGY SOCIAL MEDIA AND MARCH MADNESS 2012 iii!i 2,065,060 TWEETS with related keywords over the course of the tournament. 1 IN 5 WORKERS 466,492 tweets with participates in a March Madness office pool. "FINAL FOUR" Betting on brackets in the office is illegal, except in Nevada. from mid-March to mid-April. Most-tweeted team: Americans fill out KENTUCKY 40 MILLION 147,916 times during championship game. March Madness brackets every year. Odds of filling out a perfect March Madness bracket: 1 IN 35,360,000,000 Most Twitter mentions in a single game: LEHIGH 9,015 times when they upset Duke in the second round. SOURCES: businessweek.com PRESENTED BY exacttarget.com forbes.com UNC breitbart.com ILI [email protected] chronicle.com nielsen.com KENAN-FLAGLER BUSINESS SCHOOL Created by OBizMedia General Motors Corp. AT&T Inc. Coca Cola Co. Anheuser-Busch InBev capital One Financial Corp. Automotive Insurance Restaurants Financial Services Telecom

Marketing the Madness

shared by joshuavjohn on Mar 26
1,613 views
1 shares
0 comments
Last year, the NCAA Championship game had 22 million viewers. Over the past 10 years, 275 different sponsors have spent $5.2 billion on television ads for the games. We put together this infographic ...

Designer

obizmedia.com

Category

Sports
Did you work on this visual? Claim credit!

Get a Quote

Embed Code

For hosted site:

Click the code to copy

For wordpress.com:

Click the code to copy
Customize size