Click me
Transcribed

Australia's Population Map and Generational Profile

AUSTRALIA'S POPULATION MAP PGR TFR EMPLOYMENT MAP KEY O CITY BY POPULATION FULL TIME UNEMPLOYMENT City rank by population 23 CITY *00 1984: 5.3 million 1984: 8.6% SYDNEY 4,819 NT 2.21 CAPITAL CITY Today: 8.1 million Today: 5.7% MELBOURNE 4,423 Other city WA 3.4% PART TIME UNEMPLOYED BRISBANE 2,293 1984: 1.1 million 1984: 0.60 million 4 PERTH 2,021 Today: 3.5 million Today: 0.71 million 14 ADELAJDE 1,309 TAS 2.04 TOTAL EMPLOYED Gold Coast 620 NT 1984: 6.4 million Newcastle 431 Today: 11.6 million 0.24m (1.0%) ACT/CANBERRA 427 21 Sunshine Coast 299 ACT 2.2% QLD 2.00 QLD 10 Wollongong 289 29 30 4.73m 11 НОBART 221 WA (20.1%) 12 Geelong 184 2.58m 26 13 Townsville 181 NSW 1.93 (10.8%) 14 Cairns 149 QLD 2.0% 16 0 15 DARWIN 138 SA 16 Toowoomba 113 1.68m 17 Ballarat 99 WA 1.91 (7.2%) 24 NSW Bendigo 18 92 VIC 1.8% 7.48m 19 Launceston 87 23 (32.1%) 20 Albury/Wodonga 87 SA 1.90 21 Mackay 86 VIC 5.82m (24.8%) 10 22 Rockhampton 80 ACT NT 23 Bunbury 75 1.8% POPULATION 24 Coffs Harbour 68 VIC 1.89 0.43m (1.8%) TOTAL NATIONAL POPULATION NATIONAL GROWTH RATE 25 Wagga Wagga 55 1914: 2.7% Today: 1.8% World Today: 1.0% 1914: 5.0 million Today: 23.5 million 26 Hervey Bay 53 NSW ANNUAL POPULATION CHANGE 27 Shepparton 50 1.3% TAS Births: 308,700 Deaths: 149,600 TOTAL HOUSEHOLDS 28 Mildura 50 Natural increase: 159,100 9.0 million (2.6 people/household) ACT 1.79 0.51m SA Arrivals: 502,600 Departures: 264,500 NATIONAL MEDIAN AGE 29 Gladstone 46 0.9% (2.2%) Net overseas migration: 238,100 1984: 30.5 Today: 37.3 30 Bundaberg 41 TAS: 0.1% © Copyright McCrindle 2014 mccrindle O Suite A39 - Level 4 m mccrindle.com.au blog.mccrindle .com.au O +61 2 8824 3422 Source: McCrindle, ABS +61 2 8824 3566 24 Lexington Drive FORECASTS - STRATEGY · RESEARCH twitter.com/ markmccrindle youtube.com/ mccrindleresearch slideshare.com/ mccrindleresearch info@mccrindle.com.au Bella Vista, NSW 2153 AUSTRALIA'S GENERATIONAL PROFILE MEDIAN AGE FIRST MARRIAGE 1984: Male: 25.1 LIFE EXPECTANCY AT BIRTH MEDIAN AGE OF PARENTS (NEW BIRTHS) FERTILITY RATES (BABIES PER WOMAN) 1984: Male: 72.5 Female: 79.0 1984: Fathers: 30.2 Mothers: 27.1 Female: 22.9 Australia: 1984: 1.9 Today: 1.9 Current world Avg: 2.4 Today: Male: 79.9 Female: 84.3 Today: Fathers: 33.0 Mothers: 30.7 Today: Male: 29.8 Female: 28.1 Current OECD Avg: 1.7 POPULATION BY YEAR OF BIRTH 2001: Lowest birth rate 350,000 Record birth numbers ever recorded - (1.7) 1961: Highest birth rate ever recorded - (3.5 births per woman) 300,000 The "echo boom" - reflected the fertility years of the Boomers 1971: Birth numbers reach 276,361 - not beaten until 2007 Post WWII baby boom 250,000 200,000 War babies 150,000 100,000 POPULATION 2.56 million - 11% POPULATION 5.21 million POPULATION POPULATION POPULATION 4.35 million - 19% POP. 1.5 m 22% 4.75 million - 20% 4.95 million - 21% 50,000 % OF WORKFORCE % OF WORKFORCE % OF WORKFORCE % OF WORKFORCE % OF WORKFORCE Today: 1% | 2020: 0% Today: 34% | 2020: 17% Today: 42% | 2020: 36% Today: 21% | 2020: 35% Today: 2% | 2020: 12% UNÍ DEGREE: 1 in 10 W UNI DEGREE: 1 in 5 0 UNI DEGREE: 1 in 4 UNÍ DEGREE: 1 in 3 O UNI DEGREE: 1 in 2 O '35 '45 '55 '65 '75 '85 '95 "05 '15 1930 1940 1950 1960 1970 1980 1990 2000 2010 Austrafan Scul Lyons Menz. Curtin Holt Gorton McM Whit Rudd Gillard Ab. Chifley Menzies Fraser Hawke Keating Howard Ministers KEY I LIBERAL / NATIONAL I LABOR US Hoover Presidents Hoov Roosevelt Truman Eisenhower Reagan GH Bush Clinton GW Bush JFK Johnson Nixon Ford Carter Obama KEY I REPUBLICAN I DEMOCRAT Australan 6.5 million Population E 7 million -13 million 23 million- 10 million -16 million 19 million World Population - 6 billion 2 billion 3 billion 4 billion - 5 billion 7 billion- mccrindle SOCIAL RESEARCH KNOW THE TIMES 9 SOCIAL COMMENTARY il: STRATEGIC PLANNING FORECASTS - STRATEGY - RESEARCH AUSTRALIA'S SOCIAL RESEARCHERS FORECASTS: Understanding the times, tracking the trends mccrindle.com.au CORPORATE ADVISORY e STRATEGY: Engaging communities, advising organisations A RESEARCH: Insightful research, innovative communications O RESEARCH COMMUNICATIONS POPULATION GROWTH RATE BY STATE (NATIONAL: 1.8%) TOTAL FERTILITY RATE BY STATE (NATIONAL: 1.9) - BUILDERS BOOMERS GENERATIONX GENERATIONY GENERATIONZ GENERATION ALPHA

Australia's Population Map and Generational Profile

shared by mccrindleresearch on Feb 04
855 views
0 shares
0 comments
Australia is a nation in transition. In the span of a generation, Australia’s population has increased by more than half. Demographically we are ageing, with an average age 7 years older than it was...

Category

Other
Did you work on this visual? Claim credit!

Get a Quote

Embed Code

For hosted site:

Click the code to copy

For wordpress.com:

Click the code to copy
Customize size