Click me

How to be a Happy Camper: Less Don Draper, More Phil Dunphy

A primer on getting (and staying) happy. How to Be a Наpру Camper Don't be a Draper-downer. Do the Phil-chill! Don Draper Hobbies: Drinking. Phil Dunphy Hobbies: Cheerleading, magic, tight-rope walking smoking Avoid being a “Mad" man Try to be more "Modern" Cynical about love "The reason you haven't felt it is because it doesn't exist. What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons." Chill-axes like a pro "Instead of wasting my lunch hour surfing the Web, checking football stats, I put on some mellow music and I meditated." A bit materialistic "Advertising is based on one thing: happiness. And do you know what happiness is? Happiness is the smell of a new car. " Positive thinker "What was on my mind as I was walking that (tight) wire? I was thinking, if I can do this.. then I have two ways to cross the yard!" Figure outwhat makes you happy One survey asked people to identify what things contribute most to their happiness. % who say this makes them happy 72% 72% 69% 64% Watching a child, grandchild, or close relative succeed Kissing or hugging someone you love Spending time with family or friends, having meal together Experiencing special moment with a child 61% 57% 51% 50% Experiencing natural beauty, ocean, or Making progress on your personal goals Bonding with a pet Listening to music you enjoy sunset 48% 46% 41% 38% Building or making something you are proud of Going on a date, romantic evening Being thanked for something you didn't have to do Doing something spontaneous just for the fun of it Move to a happy country In a 2012 Better Life Index, citizens in 37 countries were asked to rate their personal well-being. These countries had the highest overall average ratings: Personal well-being rating (on a scale of 1-10) 1. Denmark 1.8 2. Norway 7.6 3. Netherlands 7.5 4. Switzerland 7.5 7.5 7.4 7.4 5. Austria 6. Israel 7. Finland 7.4 7.4 8. Australia 9. Canada 10. Sweden 1.31 Money can'tbuy happiness U.S. rankings, compared to 36 other nations: Average household wealth Happiness Yay! #1 #13 Wha? Earn the right income Happy People who earn >$75,000 a year Happiast People who eam $50,000 - $75,000 a year People who eam < $50,000 a year Happy Live in the right place If you can't afford your rent or mortgage, you're not going to be happy. dreamF Most expensive cost of living Least expensive cost of living 1. New York (Manhattan), NY 1. Harlingen, TX 2. New York (Brooklyn), NY 2. Memphis, TN 3. San Francisco, CA 3. McAllen, TX 4. Honolulu, HI 4. Fayetteville, AR 5. San Jose, CA 5. Ardmore, OK 6. Stamford, CT 6. Temple, TX 7. New York (Queens), NY 7. Ashland, OH 8. Orange County, CA 8. Conway, AR 9. Washington, DC 9. Pueblo, CO 10. Juneau, AK 10. Pryor Creek, OK Most peaceful state: Least peaceful state: Maine Louisiana Where average annual car insurance rates are highest Where average annual car insurance rates are lowest Most expensive state: Least expensive state: Louisiana Maine $2,536 $889 Most expensive cities: Least expensive cities: 1. Highland Park, MI $4,214 1. Bullhead City, AZ $730 2. Hamtramck, MI $3,953 2. Chloride, AZ $731 3. Fort Hamilton, NY $3,947 3. Oatman, AZ $731 4. Brooklyn, NY $3,819 4. Pine Point, ME $733 5. Detroit, MI $3,709 5. West Scarborough, ME $733 Most expensive car to insure Least Drive a car you can afford to insure expensive car to insure 2012 Audi R8 Spyder Quattro 2012 Toyota Sienna LE $3,384 $1,111 (avg. annual premium) (avg. annual premium) Make a career change To identify the happiest jobs in America, surveyed workers on factors that affect job satisfaction, such as pay, office relationships, growth opportunities, company culture, daily tasks, and work environment. Happiness is good for business 1. Software quality engineer and Executive chef tie 2. Property manager 3. Bank teller 4. Warehouse manager • Raises sales by 37% • Increases productivity by 31% Improves task accuracy by 19% 5. Administrative assistant 6. Customer service representative 7. Accountant and Systems engineer tie 8. Construction manager Improve your relationship with your boss by just 1%, and you'll improve your job happiness as much as a 30% increase in salary could. 9. Human resources manager 10. Field service technician Well-paying jobs that only require an associate degree: Occupation Average annual salary (top of range) Paralegal $52,454 Physical therapy assistant $52,710 Police officer $66,563 IT/network systems administrator $63,973 Registered nurse $67,720 Radiation therapist $78,920 Environmental engineering technician $51,530 % who were happy at work Happy workers 52% 2005 are in decline 45% 2009 A 2011 survey by the Nielsen Company shows that while reported job satisfaction has increased over the past few years, it's far below what it was 7 years ago. 47% 2011 43% 2010 (hange your clothes After surveying 100 women, Professor Karen depressed? Pine found that "many of More than half said jeans and a baggy top the women in this study felt they could alter their What do you wear when you feel happy? mood by changing what 62% said they'd be 10x more likely to put on a they wore." What do you wear when you're favorite dress when happy than when depressed Go see a sad movie Researchers have found that watching a tragedy causes people to think about their own close relationships, which reminds them of some positive aspects of their life and makes them happier. Be social: happiness is contagious Know someone who's Live next door to happy Having a happy friend happy, and you're 15% more likely to be happy. neighbors, and you're 34% more likely who lives less than half a mile from you increases your chance of happiness by 42% to be happy. Start some happy habits Shawn Achor, the author of The Happiness Advantage, found that when people engaged in one of these positive exercises daily for 21 days, they experienced a 24% improvement in job and life satisfaction: • Write down 3 new things you are grateful for each day • Take 2 minutes each day to write a description of a positive experience you've had in the past 24 hours • Exercise for 10 minutes a day • Meditate for 2 minutes, focusing on your breath going in and out • First thing in the morning, write a quick email thanking or praising someone in your social support network - a family member, friend, former teacher A Created for © QuinStreet, Inc., 2012 Sources OECD: Better life index; May 22, 2012 Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development,,3746,en_2649 201185_47837411 1_1_1_1,00.html AARP Study: Beyond happiness, thriving; June 4, 2012, pdf s-for-Adults-35.html Why $50,000 may be the new happiness tipping point, April 19, 2012Marist Poll,, April%202012_FINAL. pdf The Ten Most and Least Expensive Urban Areas in the Cost of Living Index (COLI)First Quarter 2012; May 24, 2012,; Dean Frutiger's Most and least expensive cars to insure; Feb. 8, 2012,; Nosy Neighbor tool compares rates by ZIP code; June 5, 2012,'s car insurance rates by state 2012; March 5, 2012, U.S. News and World Report: Careers that fetch a high salary with an associate's ; March 2011, Top health care jobs with two years of education or less; Sept. 22, 2011, ml Forbes: The Happiest jobs in America; March 23, 2012, Science Daily Happiness: it's not in the jeans; March 8, 2012, Smiling through the tears: Study shows how tearjerkers make people happier; March 26, 2012, 20326132533.htm The Atlantic: is Facebook making us lonely? May 2012, WSJ: America's most and least peaceful states, Summary of recent happiness research, updated 6M/2012: Social Capital Blog; Harvard, CNN: Is happiness the secret of success? March 19, 2012, The happiest countries in the world; 24/7 Wall St. May 22, 2012, Fall 2011 survey of 5,000 U.S. households conducted for The Conference Board by The Nielsen Company; June 27, 2012,

How to be a Happy Camper: Less Don Draper, More Phil Dunphy

shared by Cyue on Aug 22
If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands! What? No one? If the most recent happiness research is any indication, Don Draper of "Mad Men" isn't the only one who's not jolly despite achiev...


Did you work on this visual? Claim credit!

Get a Quote

Embed Code

For hosted site:

Click the code to copy


Click the code to copy
Customize size