Click me

Facts About Blood

BLOOD You may not be a vampire, phlebotomist, or hematologist, or even know what all those words mean, but you can still learn about blood! You may know there are different types of blood- you may even know your own type - but did you also know that. according to the Japanese, your blood type determines your personality? Or that a girl was banned from school for bleeding? Check out these bloody facts! BLOOD IS MADE UP OF: A red blood cell lives for about 120 days within the body. RED BLOOD PLATELETS CELLS WHITE BLOOD - PLASMA CELLS Blood is about CELLS Plasma is WATER 45% cells and PLASMA 55% plasma. 90% water. Blood also contains nutrients, The other 10% contains things like hormones, clotting agents. and waste products. protein molecules, immunoglobulins, vitamins, hormones, cholesterol, etc. FOUR TYPES OF HUMAN BLOOD: ANIMALS HAVE DIFFERENT BLOOD TYPES THAN HUMANS: ABAB O THESE WERE IDENTIFIED BY DR. KARL LANDSTEINER IN 1901. 800 EACH TYPE CAN BE EITHER TYPES TYPES TYPES RH POSITIVE (RH+) OR RH NEGATIVE (RH -). 85% OF AMERICANS HAVE RH+ BLOOD. BLOOD TYPE: % OF AMERICANS WITH THIS TYPE: 0+: 37% A+: 34% Different countries B+: 10% have different A-: 6% blood types that are more common. 0-: 6% AB+: 4% B-: 2% AB-: 1% 7% Blood makes up about 7% of your body weight. THE AVERAGE ADULT HAS ROUGHLY 14 TO 18 PINTS OF BLOOD. Like eye color, blood type is inherited. In China, more than 99% of people have Rh+ blood. IN JAPAN, BLOOD TYPES Asking "What's your blood type?" is like asking "What's your sign?" ARE ASSIGNED PERSONALITY TRAITS. TYPE A: TYPE B: Type 0: THE FARMER THE HUNTER TYPE AB: THE WARRIOR THE HUMANIST unpredictable, distant, careful, considerate, efficient, and sensitive. serious, calm, composed, level-headed, outgoing, expressive, clumsy, flexible, idealistic, natural curious, excitable, cheerful, bright, enthusiastic, and trustworthy. leaders, carefree, and generous. unpredictable, and independent. Human blood is red Crabs have blue blood Leeches have green because it contains iron. because theirs contains blood because theirs copper instead of iron. contains chlorocruorin. 0- blood is the Every two seconds someone universal donor. in the U.S. needs blood. It can be given to any blood type. More than 38,000 blood donations are needed every day. Less than 38% of the U.S. population is able to give blood. AB+ is the universal recipient. It can receive any blood type. Less than 10% donate blood annually. YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO GIVE BLOOD IF: You have certain illnesses. XXX You've had unprotected sexual contact. You've gotten a recent tattoo or piercing. MOM You've had recent surgery. You've had an extended stay in certain countries. American Red Cross The Red Cross supplies about 40% of the entire U.S. blood supply. Statistically, about 1 in 4 people will require a blood transfusion at least once in their lifetime. DESPITE POPULAR BELIEF, BLOOD INSIDE THE BODY IS NOT BLUE. Veins look bluish due to surrounding tissues. Exposure to oxygen does not turn blood red - blood carries oxygen, so that doesn't even make sense. Arterial blood (oxygen-rich blood) is brighter. while venous blood (carbon dioxide-rich blood) is darker. Both are still red. The myth of blue blood may be related to medical diagrams, which usually depict arteries in red and veins in blue. Twinkle Dwivedi, an Indian teenager, has a bleeding disorder that continues to baffles doctors. She spontaneously bleeds without being cut or scratched. About 50 times a day, she blood seeps through the skin on her hands, feet, neck, and scalp. She also bleeds through her eyes, nose, and ears. All without bruising or injury. Medical tests have shown she has a mild clotting disorder, but that doesn't explain the bizarre bleeding. Her school has banned her from attending due to her condition. THERE ARE ABOUT 40 DISEASES AND CONDITIONS THAT CAN BE TREATED WITH CORD BLOOD. Cord blood is the blood from the umbilical cord of a newborn. It can be collected and saved after the cord has been cut. It contains stem cells, which can be used to treat illnesses in the baby, as well as members of the baby's immediate family. ease: cancers, immune system disorders, metabolic conditions, and other disorders can be treated, but not necessarily cured, with cord blood cells. marrow pod disorders, SOURCES: Design By Ellie Koning blood-fun-facts&catid=43:tools-and-resources<emid=73 UnlineSchools

Facts About Blood

shared by amie on May 04
Most people know the four blood types, A, B, AB, and O but lesser known are the Japanese personality traits associated with each blood type. This infographic contains blood related facts such as bloo...


Unknown. Add a source


Did you work on this visual? Claim credit!

Get a Quote

Embed Code

For hosted site:

Click the code to copy


Click the code to copy
Customize size