Click me

15(ish) Things Worth Knowing About Coffee

15 (ish) Things Worth Knowing About Coffee It all started with. Dancing Goats Legend has it.. Ethiopian shepherds first noticed the effects of caffeine when they saw their goats appearing to become frisky and "dance" after eating coffee berries. Originally, Coffee was eaten. African tribes mixed coffee berries with fat which formed edible zenergy balls! The rise of Islam contributed greatly to the popularity of coffee. The religion prohibited drinking alcohol, but coffee was considered an acceptable drink. All coffee in the world grows in the Bean Belti (The "bean belt" is the area between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn) Hawaii is the only state in the US that grows coffee. NO COFFEE In 1675, the King of England banned coffee houses, claiming they were places where people met to conspire against him. DRINKING BY ORDER OF THE KING, COFFEE SHOPS ARE NOW DECREED TO BE "TERRORIST SLUMBER PARTIES" 30% Robusta 70% of the world consumes Arabica coffee, which is mild and aromatic. The remaining 30% drinks Robusta, which is more bitter-tasting but has 70% Arabica 50% more caffeine than Arabica. Coffee grows on trees They can grow to be up to 30 feet tall, but are cultivated to be around 10 feet (3 meters) tall for easy-picking. (This tree is ridiculous Much better thx. I can't even reach. The bean is actually a seed inside of a bright red berry. here's a photo COFFEE Coffee is the second most traded commodity on earth. Oil is the first. Clearly humanity has a thing for black drippy liquids. chug! chug! chug Coffee Berries are picked, dried, and stripped down until all that's left is a green bean. Once shipped, the beans are roasted at around 500F. After a few minutes, the bean will "pop" and double in size. A few minutes after that, the bean will "pop" once more. The POP! second pop means the bean is done. The bean is now POP! ready to fulfill its destiny. (part 2) George Washington invented instant coffee! No I didnt, Dont just skim, Read the damn details. Do it or Ill cross the Delaware and crane kick you in the mouth. A Belgian man living in Guatemala by the name of George Washington invented it in 1906. Espresso: le-spres-oh| It's not a particular type of bean, roast, or blend. Espresso is just a way that coffee is prepared: shooting pressurized, hot water through finely ground coffee. Caffè Latte Mocha Cappuccino Foam Tons o' Foam widGream Milk Tons o Milk Chocolate Syrup Milk Espresso Espresso Espresso Americano Breve Espresso Foam ت Water (and nothin' else!) Half & Half (this is hardcore) Espresso Espresso Espresso AM A WAR M ANY DON BUT TEEASE K00 STRONC Americano The term "Americano" comes from America Gls during WWII. They would order espresso with water to dilute the strong flavor. Furthermore, the term "cup of joe" comes from American servicemen (GI Joes) in WWII being seen as big coffee drinkers. Caffeine bzzzzzzzz I got my party hat on. Lets rock this casserole How it works: sup mang Lets party In your brain there's something called Adenosine and it only wants to hang out with certain receptors. When these two get together, you get drowsy. adenosine adenosine receptor forget that guy he's a total square i never liked him anyway When Caffeine shows up, it attaches to the receptors so AM S0 LONELY that Adenosine cannot. caffeine adenosine receptor adenosine Your pituitary gland sees this and thinks there's an emergency, so it tells the adrenal glands to I dunno WTF is going on up there. but its a big deal 4 sure produce adrenaline. In addition, caffeine bumps up imma give u an adrenaline your dopamine levels sandwich k? pituitary gland The result? A CAFFEINE HIGH The Emdi, THE END! Written & Drawn by The Oatmeal

15(ish) Things Worth Knowing About Coffee

shared by grant on Mar 28
Where'd coffee come from? How is coffee made? Why is an Americano called that? What's this caffeine high doing to me? All this and more (13ish more) facts about coffee can be found here!


The Oatmeal


Unknown. Add a source


Did you work on this visual? Claim credit!

Get a Quote

Embed Code

For hosted site:

Click the code to copy


Click the code to copy
Customize size