Click me

World Water Day 2013

WATER TIME I S STATS RUNNING DRY Water use in many parts of the world has become unsustainable, so much so that local populations, agriculture and businesses are under heavy threat. The 10 countries facing the most 'extreme' risk level are Of all the water on Earth, 97.5% is salt water, leaving only 2.5% as fresh water! Water tables are falling in many parts of the world. Himalayan glaciers will shrink massively in the next century, reducing natural water storage in the mountains. The shortfalls will have to come from groundwater and surface storage. Many great rivers have drastically diminished flows. all in North Africa or the Middle East. The top five countries facing extreme risk are as follows: Saltwater 97% Demand for food and fiber is projected to increase by 70% by mid-century when the world's population is projected to reach nine billion; without intervention untenable Almost 70% of that fresh Freshwater (Frozen) water is frozen solid in Antarctica's and Greenland's Freshwate (Avallahle) icecaps, and the majority of pressure on water resources in many regions will threaten food and water security. the remainder is in the earth's soil or lies as groundwater in deep underground aquifers. Water on Earth Less that 1% of all fresh water on earth (equivalent to 0.007%) is accessible for human use. This water is found in rivers, lakes and reservoirs as well as underground sources that are shallow enough to be tapped. UN WATER O Bahrain O Qatar o Kuwait O Libya O Djibouti World Water Day 2013 POVERTY/DROUGHT International Year of Water Cooperation The lack of fresh water in 3rd world countries also contributes to food insecurity and malnutrition. This can result in poor or failed harvests which in turn result in food scarcity and high prices of the available food. 3rd WORLD 1" WORLD Drought is now the most common cause of food shortages in the world. In 2006, recurrent drought caused crop failures and heavy livestock losses SOURCES: in parts of Ethiopia, Somalia and Kenya. • The UN suggests that each person needs 20-50 litres of water a day According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), U.S.households eshwater_supply/freshwater.html to ensure their basic needs for waste 1.25 trillion gallons of water each drinking, cooking and cleaning. -other-third-world-countries.html year. More than one in six people worldwide (894 million) don't Around 30% of the water an average American uses is used outdoors, mainly just to water their lawn and flowerbed. Garden hoses spray around 10 gallons of water per minute, so using around 150 gallons of water in one wash isn't difficult at all. World Water Assessment Programme (WWAP) World Health Organization (WHO) and United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF) Joint Monitoring Programme on Water Supply and Sanitation (UMP) WATER have access to improved water sources. COOPERATION Globally, diarrhoea is the leading Torgny Holmgren - Stockholm International Water Institute 6 1989 - 1992 - Water Convention plans negotiated. cause of illness and death, and 88 % of diarrhoeal deaths are due to a lack of access to sanitation facilities, together with inadequate availability of water for hygiene and unsafe drinking water. O 6 1994 - Recommendations to UNECE Governments on the Prevention of Water Pollution from Hazardous More than one-fourth of all the water we use worldwide is taken to grow over one billion tons of food that nobody eats. Substances. BATHSHOP321 6 1996 - The Water Convention enters into force First Guidelines on Water-Quality Monitoring. 6 1999 - Agreement on the status of the International Fund for Saving the Aral Sea. 6 2001 - Belarus-Ukraine and China-Kazakhstan THE UK'S BEST VALUE BATHROOM SHOP! Today 2.5 billion people, including almost one billion children, live agreements. • 2003 - Hungary-Romania and Estonia-Latvia agreements. 6 2006 - Dam safety project starts in Central Asia. 6 2007 - The new Franco-Swiss Genevese aquifer agreement is signed. without even basic sanitation. Every 20 seconds, a child dies as a result of poor sanitation. That's 1.5 million preventable deaths each year. 6 2008 - Water quality project starts in Central Asia. 6 2012 - Expected globalization of the Water Designed by: Info Graphicg DEION TIAM Convention. To learn more, head to -

World Water Day 2013

shared by kieronh on Mar 08
March 22nd is World Water Day 2013 - with this year's theme being 'Water Cooperation'. Bathshop321 have produced a helpful infographic to explain more about the importance of World Water Day, and the ...




Did you work on this visual? Claim credit!

Get a Quote

Embed Code

For hosted site:

Click the code to copy


Click the code to copy
Customize size