Memorial Day is an American holiday for remembering and honoring war veterans who died during military service. Memorial Day was initially called Decoration Day, celebrated for the first time following the American Civil War. To help remember soldiers around the world who died for their countries, we’ve compiled a list of 16 infographics about war veterans.
1. Memorial Day: Remembering the Fallen covers some of the traditions of Memorial Day and pins the first day it was celebrated at May 30, 1868.
2. For more on the history of Memorial Day, check out I Remembered a Vet Today.
3. By far, one of the most touching visualizations remembering casualties is Home and Away.
4. Iraq War Deaths shows deaths on all sides of the Iraq war.
5. The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall is a touching and thoughtful monument. This graphic covers the details on it.
6. Just how many veterans are there? Improve Your Military Intel has the numbers.
7. Dead veterans are not the only ones who need remembering.The Hardest War is Fought at Home puts it well. Many war veterans face problems on their return, leading to homelessness.
8. To help alleviate that, the VA offers home loans. Get a peek at the details with A Look at VA Home Loans.
9. Unfortunately, finances are not the main reason why many veterans struggle to adapt to live after war. Homeless Veterans offers an overview.
10. As we learned, Post Traumatic Stress is one of the biggest challenges veterans face on their return home. The next three graphics cover some details on the disorder.
12. Military PTSD
13. PTS can make it difficult for veterans to get jobs when they return from combat. Veterans Fight for Jobs covers this struggle.
14. Some areas are easier for vets to get into than others, as covered by Veterans Move Into Technology Jobs.
15. Many people only think of veterans as males, but there are lots of women soldiers as well. Women of War offers a look at the numbers behind female soldiers.
16. Lastly, the troops sill deployed need to be remembered as well. For the Troops covers some of the ways they are being helped.