Reverse Osmosis Desalination
A separation process used to reduce the dissolved salt content of saline water to a usable level.
The use of desalination overcomes the paradox faced by many coastal communities, that of having access to a practically inexhaustible supply of saline water but having no way to use it.� ��� USAID Desalination Manual
1. The saline feedwater is drawn from oceanic or underground sources.
2. Water is pre-treated to remove solids and adjust PH level to protect equipment
3. Water is forced through membranes which inhibit the passage of salt
4. Water is post-treated by stabilizing the PH level (adjusting the acid/alkaline)
5. Water is stored and then distributed to communities when it is needed