It has long been remarked that women earn less money than men. Whether this reflects invidious discrimination or differential participation in the labor force is a hot topic in the social sciences. We decided to take a look at it from another angle: do young ladies simply major in poor paying occupations...
Using our database of median salaries for particular majors, we cross-referenced the most popular undergraduate majors against the National Center for Education Statistics Digest of Education Statistics.
According to the DES, roughly 42% of the undergraduate degrees awarded in 2008 went to men, with the remaining 58% going to women. (Once in rough balance, the percentage of degrees awarded to men fell precipitously for most of the last decade, only recently pausing at about 42 ~ 43%.).
Never miss a thing with our weekly newsletter. We'll send you the latest and greatest infographics, news and all things Visually.
Go ahead, you can always opt out anytime with just one click.
Copy the code below
Newsletters are boring. So we made ours visual. Subscribe now.
Thank you for subscribing. We sent an email, please click the link to complete
Tell your story visually before December 31st and get a free iPad Air!*
The holidays are a great time to tell your brand story. From Black Friday trends and Mobile Shopping guides to the Best and Worst Times to Book Travel and Thanksgiving etiquette, the Visually team will help you craft your brand's unique stories and raise your social profile during the noisy holiday season.