- What are data visualizations?
Data visualizations represent numerical data in a visual format. They can be anything from a simple bar chart to a complex three dimensional CAT Scan representation.
- What are infographics?
Infographics are images created to explain a particular idea or dataset. They often contain beautiful graphics to increase their appeal and help catch your attention. Many of them use data visualizations.
- What are interactive data visualizations?
Interactive data visualizations allow a user to explore a dataset for themselves. They have different interaction methods, like providing details on mouseover, different coordinated views, panning and zooming, or others.
- What are motion graphics?
Motion graphics are often very similar to infographics. They have beautiful imagery and animations and explain concepts or datasets.
- How are these visuals created?
Data visualizations can be created by a variety of software/programs, both those designated for data visualization and those that are not. Most infographics are created by hand-in-design software, such as Photoshop or Illustrator. Motion graphics are often created in After Effects or Final Cut Pro. Interactive data visualizations are hand-coded by developers. Visual.ly is working on data visualization tools to help everyone be able to communicate visually.
- Can I trust all of these visualizations?
Most visualizations can be trusted, but think critically about them and how they represent the data. Ask yourself if they do anything to exaggerate or minimize important aspects. Check the sources to see if they are reliable. Visual.ly has a strict code of ethics that we follow to ensure that you can trust anything we create. Please note that community submissions are not subject to the Visual.ly code of ethics.
- What can I do with these visualizations?
Visualizations can be useful in our day-to-day lives, for educational purposes or just for pure entertainment. For example, we can use an infographic when we are choosing the best airplane seat or we can utilize an interactive data visualization to learn what our coworkers' names mean.
- Are these visualizations free to embed on any website?
Yes! You can use our embed code to put visualizations you find on our site anywhere you can imagine. After all, the point of a visualization is to be seen! Simply hover over the graphic, click "embed", choose the desired width and "copy code."
- How do I get my visualization up on Visual.ly?
First, sign up for a Visual.ly account (it's free!). Once you've created your own Visual.ly account, you can immediately start uploading visualizations that you've created, commissioned, or would otherwise like to share.
- How to Edit or Delete a Submission on Visual.ly
Head to your infographic's Visual.ly url. Once on the infographic page, you will see a "Settings" icon in the top left corner of your graphic.
Click the "Settings" icon; a box will pop open for you to make your changes.
- To change the Title or Description text all you need to do is to type in your desired changes in the appropriate "Title" or "Description" fields. Please note that the title should be under 50 characters and does not need the word "infographic" (or similar) included. Please do not place URLs in the description; there are 3 other location on your infographic's page for those.
- To add a "Tag" (keyword), start typing the desired word. You will see that as you type, there are pre-approved tags to select. Click on the desired listing to add the tag.
- To add or change a "Publisher" or "Designer," start typing the name of the infographic's Publisher (entity that commissioned the graphic) and/or Designer (the entity that created the graphic). You will see a drop-down list of Publishers and Designers already in our database; select the appropriate one.
- To add or change the infographic's "Source," paste the correct url of the location where the infographic was originally published.
- To change the infographic's "Category," click the drop-down list and choose the most applicable category for your infographic.
- To replace your infographic, click on the "Browse" button underneath "Replace Image." Select the appropriate image and "Save Changes." Please note that this option is currently only available for static infographics (not interactive or motion graphics).
- For any changes you make to your infographic, remember to click the "Save Changes" button at the bottom of the edit box.
- To Delete your submission on Visual.ly, scroll down to the bottom of the edit box. Click on the "Delete Infographic" button; click "Delete" on the page that follows. Deleting a submission is an action that cannot be reversed.
- What are the maximum sizes for files I upload?
The maximum file size is 7MB.
- What should I upload?
Infographics are a great start and they don't have to be yours (but you do need to provide proper credit to the designer and publisher). "Test" and all submissions that are neither infographics, interactive data visualizations or motion graphics will be deleted.
- What if I don't want my visualization on Visual.ly?
If designers or publishers ask us to remove a graphic, we can do that. Please note, however, that content uploaded to Visual.ly only increases potential exposure in a community tailor-made for infographics and other data visualizations.
We are always ready to update submissions to accurately provide designer and publisher credit. You can request credit on the content page itself by clicking "Claim design/publisher credit for this infographic."
Still want your visualization removed? Contact us for further assistance.
- Can I become a partner?
Of course you can! Send us an email for more information.
- How can I become a Data partner?
Check out "Become a Data Partner" for more information.
- Delete Your Account
On your user portfolio page, click "Settings" then click "Account & Password." Click "Cancel Account" and again on the following page. You will receive and email with a link and instructions to confirm your cancellation request. Please note that all of your infographic submissions will subsequently be removed from Visual.ly.
For any other inquiries, please contact us directly.